1.25.2013

Film Photography - Unfiltered

Usually I try to put a cap on the photos I put up here. I take up to 500 photos, then slowly whittle them down to a very few chosen, aka, "the golden ones." These are the photos I'm most proud of, the ones I'm glad are online for the world to see.

Okay, ignore everything I just said, because these photos are, uhhh, bad.

You know how I'm taking a film photography class? Yeah. Film has a tendency to humble me. It's much trickier than digital (for me). You're limited to 24 or 36 pictures per roll, and you can't see the immediate outcome, delete, and try again.

You take some photos, pray they're not awful. Then you put the film in a canister thing and develop the film, and hope the chemicals aren't bad and you did all the ratios correctly. Then you take the film out to dry, and hallelujah, they turned out! Let's just hope they're not scratched. Then you cut them up and make prints, as long as your paper is still unexposed and the darkroom chemicals are all good. As long as you expose the picture for the right amount of time, then develop it for the right amount of time, you SHOULD be good.

All of that was basically a disclaimer to say, don't judge me for not being artistic. I'm just glad I have photos. So I'm about to show you all the prints I have, going from my best prints, to my worst prints (don't laugh at me- that last one is what I like to call a "disaster"). Here it goes.











Really proud of the first, like, three.
That last one, I just kind of have to laugh at. I haven't learned to dodge and burn yet. Oops.






2 comments: